Sheila Morrison, based in Edinburgh EH10
Based in Edinburgh
Services that are offered: Counselling • Supervision • Training
Professional accreditation: BACP (Counsellor)
Welcome to my entry on this site. Here is some information about me:
• I work as a self-employed therapist in Edinburgh offering one-to-one sessions to individuals (adults) for counselling, and to supervisees for the supervision of their counselling work.
• I have been a counsellor, supervisor and trainer in the counselling field for many years. I started as a counsellor in 1996 specialising in the area of loss and bereavement. I continue to have an interest in “loss” in all its forms such as loss of someone or something important, loss of identity, loss of abilities, dementia, and loss of role. Over the years of seeing many clients I have found that loss is quite often a dimension of human experience and distress.
• I have extensive experience in the higher education sector including my employment as a Staff Counsellor in the Edinburgh University Staff Counselling Service (2004-2019), and I am therefore very familiar with work-place stresses and with the demands of working in a large organisation. I have previously worked as a Student Counsellor at The University of Edinburgh and The University of Abertay Dundee.
• I am used to counselling clients in a brief set-up i.e. just a few sessions, as well as more extensive, longer-term work.
• In addition to counselling I have an interest in mindfulness and find this can be useful particularly with calming heightened anxiety. In my counselling work with clients, I sometimes consider how mindfulness concepts can be a useful adjunct to counselling for clients.
• I have a warm & sensitive manner, and a steady & calm presence. I enjoy learning about people and helping them explore the issues or concerns that are important to them.
• I seek to develop a connection with clients that is trusting and supports clients to engage with their difficulties, exploring them with care. I see my role as facilitative, actively responding to what clients share in sessions, assisting them to identify what matters to them, exploring the nature of any distress or concerns, and potentially illuminating ways forward in their life.
Where I am based:
• I work from The Life Academy Wellbeing Centre in Bruntsfield in Edinburgh on Mondays and Wednesdays. The Centre is comfortable, quiet and private. During Covid times I am offering online and telephone sessions, plus assessing the possibility of meeting in person.
• The Centre is accessed by a ramp and the rooms are all on ground floor level. If you have restricted mobility I ask that you discuss this with me directly to assess how accessible it is in practice for you.
• I am accredited with BACP as a counsellor/psychotherapist and have been since 2004.
• In addition to my counselling and supervision work, I am a trainer on a Post-Graduate Diploma in person-centred counselling, and it is a joy to facilitate the learning of trainee counsellors and help them in providing quality counselling too.
I am happy to receive inquiries by email or phone, so if you have any questions or are considering having some counselling sessions (or supervision) with me, please get in touch.
Best wishes, Sheila.
Post-Graduate Certificate in Person-Centred Supervision, Temenos (2007)
Certificate in Supervision, PCT Britain (2009)
Code of Ethics:
BACP Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions
BACP Professional Conduct Procedure
Address: Bruntsfield , Edinburgh , EH10 | Mobile: 0785 809 0120